Bacon: it’s the most talked-about breakfast food on the internet – and so delicious! But if you avoid bacon because of health concerns, we’ve got your solution!
Nutrition experts recommend your breakfasts range between 300-400 calories–and this breakfast fits right in there at 390!
It’s also chock-full of protein. Animal protein, like bacon, provides the ideal ratio of essential amino acids that the human body needs. Those essential amino acids help grow your muscles, skin, and organs.
Protein also keeps you full, preventing snacking between breakfast and lunch. 12 weeks on a high-protein diet helped participants lose between 10-11.5 lbs. (1, 2, 3)
Bacon lovers take heart! We’re here for you, and we know you’re really going to love these creative and fun breakfast tacos. They’re as fun to make as they are to eat, so get to it!
Makes four (4) tacos.
10 minutes prep time, 1 hour total
- 16 slices bacon, halved (32 half-slices total)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tbsp. whole milk
- Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. chopped chives
- 1/4 c. shredded Monterey jack
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Hot sauce (optional, for serving)
- Large, rimmed baking sheet
- Kitchen shears
- Medium-sized bowl
- Non-stick skillet
*Note: If you’re looking to make this recipe even healthier, consider making your scrambled eggs with egg whites only. Egg whites are a great source of potassium, and many of us are not getting the amount we need. They are saturated-fat and cholesterol-free.
Additionally, if you’re counting calories, they can’t be beaten. A whole egg has around 71 calories, where an egg white has only 17. (4)
- Preheat your oven to 400℉ (200℃)
- If you haven’t already, cut your bacon in half.
- Weave eight (8) bacon halves into a square, 4 times.
- Line a baking sheet with the tinfoil.
- Place bacon weaves onto the sheet.
- Season with pepper, to taste.
- Place an inverted baking rack over your baking sheet, to keep the bacon weave squares flat as they cook.
- Cook your bacon for 30-35 minutes, or until mostly crisp.
- Shred your cheese, if it is not pre-shredded.
- Remove bacon from the oven.
- Trim the edges of your bacon squares with your shears to create a circular shape. Be careful when you do this! Don’t burn yourself or break the squares.
- Mix your eggs and your milk in a bowl, whisking until they are blended.
- Melt your butter in your skillet, using a medium-low heat setting on your burner.
- Pour in your eggs and milk mixture.
- Use the spatula to scramble your eggs gently
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add your chives to the skillet.
- Fold the chives into the scrambled eggs.
- Remove from heat.
- Place your bacon circles on a plate.
- Divide eggs into four portions.
- Gently fold the bacon circle in half, making the taco shape.
- Top each bacon taco with one portion of eggs.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over your eggs.
- Add slices of avocados, to taste.
- Squirt on your hot sauce, to taste.
Nutritional Information Per Taco (5):
- 390 calories
- 24 g protein
- 4 g carbohydrates
- 2 g fiber
- 1 g sugar
- 31 g fat
- 11 g saturated fat
- 720 mg sodium